Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Young Thomas

I arrive and park next to a bike with at least five backpacks tied to the back that smelled strongly of tobacco products. My dad asked me to play a few worship tunes at Springs Rescue mission and I was running a little late. I walk into the crowded room and see my dad in the back waving at me telling me that we were right about to start. I unpack my guitar and pass out word sheets as fast as I can. My dad approached and mentioned that the speaker was running late and we had a little time to mingle. I walk toward the front of the room and see a guy who looked like Jesus. Long hair, thick beard, blue eyes, white skin...ok, so maybe not exactly like Jesus. I sit down and introduce myself and he greeted me enthusiastically! His name is Corry. He introduced me to his friends Russel and Mike. Russel being a very tall man with an exceptionally long beard and Mike being a very charming/drunk character that instantly made me smile. We started talking and Corry started requesting worship songs. I was surprised to find that he was into a lot of the more popular more "current" worship tunes that I was accustom to. He mentioned that he goes to Newlife. I started to dig a little deeper and he openly shared his story. He grew up in prison. From the time he was 14 he went from one Juvenal Detention to the other until he was too old and was sentenced to Federal prison. He spent 15 years there. Four years ago he was released and a "Newlifer" family picked him up drove him back to the springs. They asked him to come to church with them that next Sunday morning. Corry felt obligated. He went and something happened. He describes it as being touched by the holy spirit. He gave his life to Christ and was changed. He devoted his life to disciplining and ministering within the homeless community and lives his life to proclaim Jesus. He also participates in "the Thorn" the easter play that Newlife puts on and he plays the part of "Young Thomas". The conversations we had since then have been talks that have been life changing. A thing he says that I like is that it is uncomfortable to stand up against injustice. It takes courage to stand up and say, "you are treating this person poorly, and it is wrong". He is spending his time building into the younger generation of homeless and the punks like me who come down to the park. I love talking to him. It is a treat to find a man that the gospel he preaches is backed up by the integrity of radical actions. The reason he fights against injustice and poverty is because God himself has anointed him to preach good news to the poor. He truly inspires me.

1 comment: